Friday, May 17
The Celine Trio has all the elusive qualities that define an "it" bag: an elegant, streamlined shape, an understated logo, scarce availability, and a high price tag. And, of course, it has spawned some less expensive but very viable lookalikes, such as this one from Steven Alan. It also comes in black.
1. Dagmar knitted sweater, $295, netaporter.com
2. Elizabeth and James sunglasses, $185, shopbop.com
3. Bauble Bar earrings, $24, baublebar.com
4. Coach tote bag, $448, coach.com
5. Madewell lace-up sandals, $59, madewell.com
6. J.Crew print shorts, $54, jcrew.com
* Get these shorts for $43 (and 20% off all J.Crew women's clothing) through May 21 with the code LOOK20
Thursday, May 16
Meet my newest partner in crime, which will see me through this summer's cosmo-swilling soirees.
1. Three Floor lace dress, $234, asos.com
2. Lulu Frost earrings, $190, shopbop.com
3. Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick in Princess, $31, nordstrom.com
4. Edie Parker clutch, $1395, modaoperandi.com
5. Gucci buckle sandals, $695, netaporter.com
Wednesday, May 15
While logging some beach time over the last few weekends, I've been thinking about my summer hat strategy. For a while, I've been working the requisite straw fedora, like everyone else, but I'm noticing that style changes are afoot: hat brims are either shorter (of the porkpie/trilby variety) or longer (akin to a floppy hat) than seasons past. Which direction to go in? I'm thinking both, as it never hurts to have options. I've edited down my selects to these short-brimmers from Eugenia Kim and Bop Basics to these ultra shaders by Melissa Odabash and J.Crew.
1. OAK jersey tank, $68, netaporter.com
2. Tom Binns stud earrings, $225, charmandchain.com
3. Venessa Arizaga charm bracelet, $225, shopbop.com
4. Avant Garde Paris serpent cuff, $155, shopbop.com
5. Loft raffia clutch, $29, loft.com
6. Alexander Wang ankle strap sandals, $495, bergdorfgoodman.com
7. Tibi print skirt, $285*, tibi.com
*Use FRIENDS25 at checkout to get this for $213 (25% off) through May 17.
Tuesday, May 14
I must confess that I once felt rompers were better off left to those under the age of five, but this season's iterations have me seriously tempted. After all, they allow for one-step dressing, work in and out of the city and they're swelter-proof. Check out the proof here-- along with summer-ready options from Club Monaco, Splendid, Thakoon Addition, Asos and 7 for All Mankind.
Photos: Stockholm Street Style, Vanessa Jackman, Pinterest, Garance Dore
Think of these as a fresh alternative to your crisp white jeans. Breeze around in them right now with...
1. Madewell chambray blouse, $69, madewell.com
2. Topshop bomber jacket, $70, topshop.com
3. Opening Ceremony tote bag, $800, shopbop.com
4. Zara metallic flats, $89, zara.com
5. J.Crew printed jeans*, $135, jcrew.com
* Get these pants for $108 (and 20% off all J.Crew women's clothing) through May 21 with the code LOOK20
Monday, May 13
A friend's milestone birthday party in Santa Barbara this past weekend entailed a day-to-night celebration, kicking off with lunch on the beach, followed by a hike capped off with summit-top sunset cocktails, then dinner and dancing in an oak forest known to be frequented by mountain lions, and then still more dancing in a barn complete with disco-ball. It was an amazing day, but not without its fashion challenges: What garment moves seamlessly from beach to hike to dance floor? What shoes are stylish enough, but still facilitate a speedy escape in-case-of-mountain-lion? I found resolution in a post-beach wardrobe change from kaftan to flowy open-back (sweat-proof) dress and (beach-, hike-, boogie- and flee- friendly) flat metallic sandals. But other women took their beach cover-ups straight on through the evening. Albeit, these were cover-ups that were fun and festive looking, or worked after hours teamed with a cute pair of shorts (like the one above)--but all of them were thoroughly inspiring. Very much like these from Theodora & Callum (a graphic knockout), Emamo (floral and feminine), Natalie Martin (I adore this new line, and this flowy number can explain why), Surf Bazaar (easy breezy), Isabel Marant (an investment with long-term benefits) and Asos (strapless, ruffled and flirty).
Photo: Cheyenne Meets Chantal
2. Super Sunglasses, $229, shopbop.com
3. Gorjana ring set, $50, shopbop.com
4. Asos embroidered clutch, $50, asos.com
5. Mango studded sandals, $129, mango.com
6. Kenzo skirt, $378, netaporter.com