It happens every time I unpack from a trip. I start rifling through the racks of my closet and plucking out pieces I no longer want. It's like weeding: I never want to do it, but when I start, I can't stop. Usually, the castoffs outnumber the clothes reinstated from my suitcase, and this last time, post my family vacation to New York, was no different, except that I was thinking about new fall clothes that would soon be making their way on to the racks and how I needed to make room for them! So now that I've made the room, I can justify some major fall shopping. Like every year, and as this blog can attest, my seasonal shopping is a gradual process--in other words, not something I do all at once. Still, I have identified how I'd like to update my wardrobe for fall and boiled it down to eight must-haves. (Though I am sure I will come up with more as September unfolds!) Some of them tap into the season's biggest trends, others are wardrobe staples that simply need to be replaced, and some I've already written about! Here's what I am coveting:
1. Understated investment bag: I'd like to coolly fly below the radar with a sleek, elegant, anonymous-looking bag, one that isn't already flashing around everywhere, such as this gorgeous Tyler Alexandra or this Mark Cross. (Both of these are bound to be cult items, I bet!)
2. Statement fur: I've accumulated some faux furry friends over the last few years, but one (or two more) can't hurt, particularly as they punctuate a cold-weather outfit like nothing else. This year, the zanier (i.e., more colorful, fluffier, printastic), the better. Take for example, this Elizabeth and James, this Shrimps, this Band of Outsiders and this River Island. I could even entertain a cute fuzzy accessory too, such as this Prada t-strap or this Asos clutch.
3. Ankle boots: Make that several pairs. I need one that is everyday-worthy and goes with everything from jeans to skirts, such as these by Loeffler Randall, Steven and Pour La Victoire. I also need to replace my old, banged-up Isabel Marant Dicker boots (yes, they're still indispensable) and am thinking I could simply buy another pair or go for a less expensive version like this one by Club Monaco (love!), Madewell, or Ash. Lastly, I'd like a sexy, dressed-up bootie for evenings out, such as this Tamara Mellon and this Aquazurra.
4. Boyfriend sweater: I will be living in these comfy knits till spring's buds bloom. I featured some good ones here, but also dug up this ribbed All Saints, this Acne Studios turtleneck, this supercozy workweek-to-weekend Nili Lotan, this perfectly slouchy Everlane and this Vince.
5. Ankle-strap flats: One of the defining accessories of the season. I want to step out in this Dolce Vita, this Tabitha Simmons and this Jimmy Choo.
6. Cape or poncho: Or both, as these toppers are a fresh looking way to stave off the old cold! I recently highlighted my favorites here, but found a few more that I love from Alice & Olivia and Burberry.
7. Masculine loafers: I love how these edgy, ahead-of-the-curve shoes--such as this J.Crew and this Tod's--look with feminine pleated skirts, cropped jeans, and snappy mini dresses.
8. Cropped, wide pants: Yes, they're hard to pull off and not necessarily the most flattering, but a) everyone else will be wearing them; b) they're the polar opposite of skinny jeans; and c), I am determined to pull them off! I'd work these pairs from Tory Burch and Proenza Schouler.